Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lyla Ellison

Well sure enough a few hours after I wrote my last post (Due date) my water broke! 

As always, I use this blog as a journal for myself to remember and one day hopefully my girls will want to read it.  But, I will keep this relatively simple....

My water broke at 1:30am, but no contractions. We took our time and waited for my mother in law to come over and left the house shortly after 3am.  Contractions just starting, but not to uncomfortable at this point.  Shortly after arriving at the hospital, my contractions really started kicking in.  I lose track of time of now, but we determined I labored with contractions every 3-5 minutes with growing intensity for about 4 hours.  I received my epidural about that time.  I was approx. 6 cms.  It took around 40 minutes or so (again I am guessing) to do the epidural and she had to do it twice because the first time it drew back blood and didn't work.  Shortly after receiving the epidural I felt faint and dizzy.  BP dropped to 70/40 and I began to vomit (again).  This was actually the scariest part of the whole labor because I didn't know what would happen should I slip into unconsciousness.  My nurse was awesome and quickly put something into me, I don't even know what, and I began to feel better.  It was pretty relaxing then for awhile.  I "relaxed" with my mom and Joe for awhile well we waited for the dilation to reach 10. 

I started pushing shortly after 1:30 and she was delivered 4 pushes later at 1:55pm. It was amazing.  Mom and Joe were happy to help me hold my legs and I got to help pull her out and onto my chest.  She stayed there, skin to skin, for over an hour.  Never cried.  I have said all along she is going to be mellow, and so far that has proved to be absolutely true!  We named her Lyla Ellison Eberhardt.  No special reasons here.  I had liked the name Lyla for awhile and we went round and round about middle names and settled on Ellison less than 3 weeks ago after a co-worker of mine suggested it. 

From the moment I saw her I thought she looked so much like her sister.  Except I do not see as much red in her little patch of hair.  Maybe I will get my blond after all ;). 

Lyla's birth was completely different from Irelyn's.  I will never describe labor as "mellow" but this was probably my ideal labor and how I guess I imagined labor to be.  I would describe Irelyn's as "intense".

She has continued to be an easy mellow baby.  She sleeps all the time. Again, she is so different from her sister.  Irelyn is an amazing big sister she was adorable when she came to visit in the hospital.  She would run in giggling and immediately want to hold "her baby" and then proceed to shower Lyla with kisses.  It's only been a few days, but she still wants to see her and hold her quite often, but I think she gets a little bored that Lyla doesn't really do anything.  She wants to teach her to crawl and walk.  There is definitely hints of jealousy and attention seeking behaviors going on, but I think she is doing better than we expected and I tear up when she sits and reads to Lyla or everytime she says "It's okay Lyla" when she starts to whimper.  The way she says it is just sooo sweet.  I have to get it recorded, if I haven't already. 

We went on our first little family outing last night (besides going to get newborn pics- which are mazing!!!).  We went down to Riverside to feed the ducks and over to Rudy's for supper.  Lyla of course slept the whole time.  Have I mentioned the weather is gorgeous for March!!  It has been in the 80s for days.  We got out the double stroller and went for a walk with both girls and Bella, the dog, this morning.  Sunny and nice and amazing! 

We are truly so blessed with these 2 miracles!  Welcome to the family Lyla!

No comments:

Post a Comment